Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Weird...

So what is it with guys who work out? Why do they want to prove to girls that they go to the gym every single day? I mean, one can tell if the other person works out regularly by looking at them, right? Ok, so the first time a guy talked to me about his gym schedule and his workout, I thought to myself, maybe he loves going to the gym and wants to tell somebody about it. Either that or he is weird. But then some days back, I felt like I was having deja vu. Only this time, the guy was different.

I am on a cruise, sipping on my drink and standing on the deck, enjoying the NYC skyline, when Weird guy comes up to me and starts talking. I know this guy; we have met like 3-4 times. We are talking about general stuff when out of the blue, he starts this topic.

Weird guy: 'How come you are so thin?'
Me: 'Huh? I was born thin and luckily I havent gained too much weight over the years. I would like to gain a little weight though'
Weird guy: 'Wow, you are so lucky. You see this body (pointing to himself as if he was that perfectly chiseled Greek god). I have to work out everyday to keep it in shape.'
Me: 'Oh, that’s nice.'
Weird guy: 'Ya, I lift weights and do crunches and blah blah blah.' (he gave me a list of all the exercises, I dont remember them now)
Me: 'Cool, I go workout sometimes. Most of the times, I am just lazy.'
Weird guy: 'Well, why do you go the gym? (in an accusative tone) You are not fat.'
Me: 'I go the gym to exercise, not to lose weight. It helps keep a balance and I love the rush that I get when I am working out.'
Weird guy: 'Oh ya, you know what you should do. You should blah blah blah and more blah.'
Me: (looking around to find myself a way out) 'Ya'
Weird guy: 'I am building muscles and strengthening my body by weight lifting.'
Me: (not finding anyone familiar and resigned to my fate) ‘That’s nice.'
Weird guy: 'Ya, here (extending out his arm), feel my muscles.’
Me: 'What?? No thanks. '
Weird guy: 'Oh come on, just feel it.'
Me: 'Oh.....hey (looking at a random person and grinning), how are you? Long time....no see.’

Was I lucky or what to get out of there?

Ok pause. What’s the big deal about him working out? Every other person goes to the gym these days. Everyone is health conscious. So why are SOME guys being hyper about it?