Saturday, May 27, 2006

Misguided?

So I get this email from a Christian friend of mine, WHY WOULD ANY CHRISTIAN PAY MONEY TO HOLLYWOOD TO SEE GOD MOCKED? And the email went on to say how the movie 'The DaVinci code' mocked God, defamed him and mocks the Church. It goes on to say that despite the assurances of a few well meaning but terribly misguided Christians, there is simply no reason to see the DaVinci Code.

Now I have read the DaVinci code and absolutely loved it. Wanted to see the movie but havent got a chance as yet. I love the book coz its very well written and is very gripping. Once I started reading the book, I couldnt place it down. I dont think the book really mocked God. I dont think that Jesus being married, if true, would have tarnished his divine image. And the most important thing, I really think it would depend on how the reader interprets the story. If being a Christian and reading the book, shakes your beliefs, then I would ask if you had faith as much as a mustard seed. I am one of those people who loves to say that I am spiritual but not religious. But, by faith, I am a Christian, and yes, I believe in Jesus. But I wouldnt accept every thing written in the Bible because there are things that are debatable in there. And I wouldnt blindly accept everything that the Church says too because the Church is an institution consisting only of humans. But I believe in God and in Jesus and believe that he came down as a man and was crucified. And there may be things we do not know of, not written anywhere. So why would something that MAY have happened shake my belief of what I believe DID happen?

But many people argue that watching the movie or reading the book itself points to the fact that you are weak in faith. So now I am wondering, am I one of those well meaning Christians who is terribly misguided?

PS - I have just aired my personal views through this post and I apologize to any reader who is intentionally/unintentionally hurt by it.