Monday, April 23, 2007

Daffodils...


I watched ‘The Namesake’ last weekend, nice movie. I thought that some scenes in the movie were really vague, so now I want to read the book. Anyways, there is this scene where Tabu recites William Wordsworth’s “Daffodils” which was my favorite poem back in school apart from “Simon Snoot’s Whiskers”.

“For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.”

It is funny now how I loved the poem then but could not really relate to it. How could I relate to the vacant and pensive mood of the poet? I was hardly what, twelve years old?

But now I can. Whenever I am blue, I remember certain moments in life which made me happy. Be it laughing at my sister crying hysterically when Mihir in Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki died (he returns later though, by popular demand), be it crying with my college friends at farewell party and also eyeing the hunks, be it resting my head on mom’s lap after a hard day at college (hard day at college, sneer) or be it hanging out of the local trains in Mumbai.

Ah, what bliss!